Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default CRABGRASS has taken over

wrote:
On Sep 11, 6:28 am, Phisherman wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:56:57 -0500, clifto wrote:
john246 wrote:
Crabgrass has taken over most of my lawn..
I bought, but haven't applied yet, something by Bayer that's supposed to
kill weeds and crabgrass.
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product...ed-Crabgrass-K...
This is not a good time to apply herbicides. Overseed your lawn now
to reduce weeds/crabgrass next year. Do not use herbicides within 90
days of seeding.

In general, not true. There are many weeds that continue to grow all
fall even into winter and continue to make the lawn a mess and they
will still be there stronger than ever come Spring. Nothing wrong
with treating weeds now, it isn't even Fall yet. And while most
herbicides specify a min period until you can seed, it's typically
around 30 days or so, not 90. Most effective is to use spot
treatment, rather than a weed/feed type product.

Very true...particularly the dandy-lions are good to work on right now
as they're in the process of taking up nutrients for the winter so
herbicide effectiveness is good (assuming they're not heavily
drought-stressed, they do need to be actively growing for best
effectiveness)....