Harold & Susan Vordos

Default Grinding wheels for HSS

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
However, I agree with Gunner, a belt grinder is the ticket for roughing

out
a tool bit or any other fast stock removal job. If you don't have one,

I have a 1 inch kalamazoo belt sander. Will it do?
Belt grinders seem to be in a class of their own! (and price too).
I know nothing about belt grinders. What distinguishs them from a
belt sander?

chuck

Belt sanders are a good way to move the metal, but a terrible way to sharpen
any cutting tool because of the fact that they round corners. That has the
effect of leaving a tool with little to no relief where you need it most,
right at the cutting edge. . You're also limited to the nature of the
grind, unlike a wheel. If you use your 1" belt, make sure you follow up
with a wheel for that sharp edge needed for good performance. You'll be
able to see the rounding effect left by the belt when you do, and it will be
obvious when you can quit grinding with the wheel as a result.

Harold