Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Tool Rest Shape

A while back there was much ado on rcw re the risk of injury to the hand
when using right angled tool rests and one of us did sustain an injury.
Since then triangular plugs have been used to fill in the angle. I don't
know if this good, bad or indifferent. I also don't know which is
better, a soft rest that doesn't ding the tool or a hard rest that
doesn't let the tool ding it.

Years ago, Frank Pain suggested that we should consider a tool rest's
line from its top by a viewing section from the side. He thought that
the top of the rest should be an unbroken curve (similar to a quarter
round) and not have separate fulcrums that would make for abrupt changes
as the tool was lifted or lowered. Probably these types are now extinct,
anyway.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter