Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Source for tool steel

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 07:42:37 -0700, Neillarson wrote:

I have asked this question of Darrell Feltmate also and I am sure that
I will get good info from him, but I thought I would see what other
sources there are.

I want to make some of my own tools. I have found an easy source for
the actual bits, but I am still looking for the tool shafts. Any help
would be great.

Another question, I have not yet seen any of these athat are home
made, but, I can't help but wonder at how the shaft stock is drilled
for the bits. The bits are square stock and the shafts are round. Got
any ideas of how to get a square hole in a round bar?Thanks

Neil Larson

Neil..
I make my Oland tools out of bolts... mostly mild steel as it's easy to drill.

I pick a bolt of a comfortable length and cut off the head, then put it on the
drill dress and drill the main hole... I think I was using a 5/16 bit...
The 1/4" tool bit snugs up just fine in the round hole and the flats of the bit
allow good locking with the set screw..

Also drill the set screw hole on the DP, size depending on set screw/tap size..

After drilling, I grind the end with the hole a little to give it some shape and
thin the diameter a bit so it works better on the tool rest..

My last step is to turn a simple handle, drill a hole in it slightly smaller
than the bolt and thread the bolt into the handle...
I usually smear a little epoxy on the threads first, but it's probably not
needed.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing