Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas Phil Kangas is offline

Default need welding tricks.... keeping things cool

wrote in message I have a BUNCH of shafts that need to
be welded (using tig) on the end
to secure an arm that is swaged onto the shaft. The weld

will be
about .375 long, bonding the arm to the shaft. Directly

behind the
arm, with about .250 clearance is a nylon bushing.... I

don't want to
melt the bushing when welding. I have to weld a bunch of

these... in
the hundreds. MIG welding puts too much of a bubble

there, and the
tig looks OH soooo much nicer.

I need an easy setup to weld this without putting heat

into the nylon
bushing.

Another thought. Set up vise grip pliers with copper jaws to
act as a
heat sink. The jaws could even be water cooled since you
have
100's to do. The copper should be a close fit, perhaps even
use
silicone heat sink compound to help conduction.
Phil