Charles A. Sherwood

Default Grinding wheels for HSS

Do you dress because the wheel has quit cutting, or because it has broken
down too much and is rough?

I dress the wheel because it quits cutting and just generates heat.
I run a diamond point across the wheel using the groove in the table
as a guide.

If the wheel dulls up too quickly, the wheel is
too hard, so you should drop back a letter or two. If it seems to slough
off to quickly, go up a letter or two. (From J to L, for example).

Nothing else to choose from.

MSC only lists these plate mounted grinding wheels: (Norton)
32A46K VBE
32A60J VBE

The 32A60J is great for finishing up or cleaning up a toolbit but
is much to fine for roughing out a blank toolbit.

Another approach may be required.
I have a Rockwell toolmakers grinder which will mount other wheel types.
I looked in catalogs last night and I can buy Norton 5SG grinding wheels
in type 5,6 or 12. Can I grind on the side of a type 5 wheel?? A type 5
wheel is a recessed wheel. I have tried grinding toolbits on this
machine and it does a great job, but it is much slower than a bench
grinder.

Another approach is to buy a 8 inch bench grinder. Can I mount good
toolroom wheels on a bench grinder by making a spacer to fit the shaft
and the 1.25 inside diameter of the toolroom wheel? I can buy jet or
delta 8 inch grinder for about 150. Enco for about 50 and Baldor for 700.
I'm sure the baldor is wonderful, but 700 is pretty steep! Will I be
disappointed with the cheap enco grinder?

What do I need to get started with CBN. I looked in the catalog and
it seems that you need an expenive break type dresser to go along with
your expensive CBN wheel. It also said the wheel needs to be running
with less than 1 thou runout. How do you measure that? I sure ain't
going to touch my indicators to the front of a grinding wheel!

Thanks for the help
chuck