Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default Equipment, and the Useless Eco- legislation ...

carneyke wrote:

Obtaining power transformers were always a problem unless they were
common. It wasn't unusual for a company not to stock many as they
rarely failed. I've seen it a few times in 35 years and always had
problems getting power transformers as a spare part.

You`ll probably find that although most mains trannies never fail, you
sometimes get a particular item where the mains transformer is a common
failure be it windings or some built in protection device. On my bench
now is a huge Sony amplifier and a Denon with opencircuit primaries. The
Sony has failed because the thermal fuse embedded in the windings has
gone o/c simply due to the heat build up.

The mains tranny on a lot of equipment is a designated safety part. I`m
not sure how the law stands, but I think such a part has to be replaced
by a exact replacement from the manufacturer.

Ron(UK)