Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default Which Bowl Gouge To Buy?

In article ,
Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 07:32:40 -0700, mac davis wrote:

I bought a $20 set of Harbor Fright chisels to practice sharpening, and they
were CHEAP...
Ok, steel, but way too thin to use safely...

Either that wasn't the HSS set, or they've changed it. I bought one
several years ago and it was a great learners set. And it was cheap
enough that I didn't mind wasting a lot of metal to learn how to sharpen.

While I have better quality tools now, I haven't thrown away the HF
HSS set. And if it hasn't changed I'd still recommend it as a starter set.

I've "turned" the HF "reds" into scrapers, but I enjoyed messing with
them to learn more about various grinds

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv