Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default A Neener for those who like big toys- sorta kind of OT

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 22:34:23 -0700, "William Noble"
wrote:

top posted to annoy those that think it's "unconventional"
1. by "turret" do you mean "spindle"? if yes, check that it's not in back
gear

Nope, by turret, I mean the hex-head turret where the tailstock would
be in a more conventional engine lathe. Basically, it holds up to six
tools which rotate into position for each step, and is powered by the
lead screw in a manner similar to a cross-slide. Each station on the
turret has a stop that protrudes from the back side, which you can use
to set the travel- when it hits the stop, the feed reverses. It's
kind of a pre-computer mechanical version of CNC.

2. there is a UK machinery site that has info on a wide variety of older
lathes - I can't remember the url right now, worth looking for

I think I ran across that, but there was nothing on this particular
machine. Very little information about it seems to exist anywhere
on-line.

3. there is a link to the schematic on my web page (www.wbnoble.com) - go to
the vacuum pumps page, I believe it is the first 3 phase vac pump that has a
link to a simple phase converter - it's just a capacitor and one (or two)
relays - you are basically making your three phase motor into a capacitor
start motor.

I understand now- I thought you were talking about converting 220 into
three-phase power, not converting a three-phase motor into a capacitor
start. If I run across an inexpensive three-phase, I'll check into
that.

4. a small VFD (3 hp or so) is $200 to $300 max refurb or less used -

I'm sure I'll find one if I keep looking- things like that always turn
up eventually if you keep your eyes open. It'll be a little while
before it's ready to be powered up anyhow- I want to make sure it's
fully clean and properly lubricated before starting it up. Hopefully,
I'll run across anything that might be damaged or potentially unsafe
*before* I've got everything spinning as well that way- there's a lot
more to it than my wood lathe!

hope this helps -
much more input and knowlege on metalworking stuff on the metalworking
newsgroup (and you'll find me there too just to keep annoying you)

I just posted the same question, with more details, over there.
Hopefully there's an old-timer or two who has fond memories of the
machine in question, and knows what's what with it. I got a text book
with it as well, and it's very good as far as operating the machine
goes, but it's a little light on maintenance and repair- and, it's a
general text about a whole range of turret lathes, not specific to the
one I've got.