Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cookie Cookie is offline

Default dead wasp nest and the lingering stench of death!

On 11 Sep, 10:07, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Cookie" wrote in message

ps.com...

Had a problem with a wasp nest about a month ago, they were getting
into my wall cavity where the sky cable went through the wall.

Read a lot of posts on this forum about removal etc so crept out at
midnight and squirted some wasp nest killing powder stuff into the
hole and ran.

Next day...nothing. I was expecting some activity for a few days but
there was none which kinda surprised me somewhat as I thought it took
a few days to kick in.

Anyway, about a week later we started to get the faint smell of
maggots/decay which has now got so bad that the living room is pretty
much a no-go area even with air freshners etc.

Would the nest have been in the cavity itself or might I be able to
get at it by pulling up a few floorboards in the living room and would
a dead wasp nest smell so bad?

This is one of the problems with not leaving the nest until it's empty of
insects naturally, they mostly die in the field rather than in the nest.

If you kill the insects, larvae and pupae in the nest there's a residue of
flesh which will attract flies and even mice. The poison might kill them too
but not necessarily. It will take time for Nature to clear up the mess - but
it will be cleared eventually.

The nest might have been in the wall cavity although they prefer a larger
space to accommodate the layers of insulation and build sensibly sized slabs
of comb for breeding so I suspect it might be in the space between lower
ceiling and upper floorboards.

Mary

Thanks Mary, unfortunately leaving the nest wasn't really an option as
a large number of the wasps seemed to be finding their way into the
house and I was a bit worried that my grandkids might get stung.
I fear I may have to pull a few boards up and dust off my pit
helmet...