Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Match the old paint

"Jim Sullivan" wrote in
:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"tom" wrote in message

My brother proposes to get a can of light colored paint, an off
white or beige I think. I proposed electronically matching all the
paints where we have do not desire to change the color.

Which of us is right?

Sounds like you just want to do a quick and cheap job in either case.
Green over green will probably work best as the little misses won't
show as much as with a different color. If you are going to do a
quality professional job, it does not matter because a little time
and care you can easily overcoat any other color.

If you can take a small sample, they probably have a similar color on
one of the chips on display.

Better yet, check out the mis-tints at your local big box stores.
There are usually some off-whites available for $5/gal. We've painted
two garages and a couple utility rooms using this money saving tactic.
If the colour isn't important, then $5/gal is the right solution.

And no, you don't need to exactly match the existing paint.

-jim
seattlecurlerATcomcast.net

I painted the entire interior of a repo house I redid with those mis-
tints. Just picked neutral colors. Leftovers from one can went into a
different can of similar mis-tint to make a slightly different tint even.
Then leftover from that one went into another and so on. Last room got
the works :-)

Sound cheesey? Well I paid $5/gal and the the new owner got like $25/gal
Behr paint on the entire interior.