Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Sullivan Jim Sullivan is offline

Default Match the old paint

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"tom" wrote in message

My brother proposes to get a can of light colored paint, an off white
or beige I think. I proposed electronically matching all the paints
where we have do not desire to change the color.

Which of us is right?

Sounds like you just want to do a quick and cheap job in either case.
Green over green will probably work best as the little misses won't show
as much as with a different color. If you are going to do a quality
professional job, it does not matter because a little time and care you
can easily overcoat any other color.

If you can take a small sample, they probably have a similar color on one
of the chips on display.

Better yet, check out the mis-tints at your local big box stores. There are
usually some off-whites available for $5/gal. We've painted two garages and
a couple utility rooms using this money saving tactic. If the colour isn't
important, then $5/gal is the right solution.

And no, you don't need to exactly match the existing paint.

-jim
seattlecurlerATcomcast.net