Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default how to bypass dremel tool internal variable speed control?

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 21:39:17 -0400, Claude Desjardins
wrote:

I took a look at google images for his model and the dimmer really is
just a dimmer ... providing they sell brushes kits (2) for his model,
the principle was ok from the first post; plug it right to the input.

If the person who originally posted the question still follows the
discussion; it is strongly suggested that you do NOT use the tool wired
that way for too long as the motor will overheat and break (or some of
its internals will melt down)... take it as a temporary fix only.

Or do like I did. I took a 600 watt dimmer and put it in a project box
with a cord on one end, and a receptacle on the other. I use it to
control the speed of dremel type tools (anything with universal motor
under about 400 watts) and to regulate output of my soldering iron.
Also comes in handy to dim the occaisional lamp.

As long as you don't run it wide open for long periods of time it will
last as long as if you had the built-in speed control. My luck with
Dremels has been terrible. The cheap chinese crap lasts just as long,
for 1/4 the price. Much as I hate chinese crap.