Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Duct relocation.

On Sep 10, 3:24?pm, cln wrote:
I'm looking to finish our basement. I've got a lot of issues with
Ducting and plumbing, but my head scratchers are with the forced air
ducts. I've been blessed with a sunken living room which gives me very
little room to move things around. The sunken room gives me only 6'2"
which in some areas I bet I couldn't get permits to finish but i
digress...

I do have a 'hallway' type area. Without cutting structural beams the
clearance in this area is greater at 7'2". Issue here is that the air
ducting is taking 10" of that area plus the space in between the duct
and the floor beams. This brings the ducking to the same high of the
sunken living room of 6'2".

Any ideas on how I could reroute the piping?

Can I change that Ducting of 10"(H) x 20"(W) to a 6.25" x 32"
rectangle and still get the same CFM? This could give me enough
reasonable head space.

Also, can the duct be closer to the wood? the gap is sagnificant but I
would'nt want to compermise safety.

ask a HVAC contractor, but have you considered digging down the floor,
adding ingress egress and calling the space a bedroom for better
resale value?