Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie Tom Nie is offline

Default Source for tool steel

William,
Did some Google homework. Still, I seem to have only found machine broaching
and it seemed from your answer that this was something we could do in a home
shop. Do you use a hammer/chiseling action or even a rotary hammer like SDS
bit?
Can't seem to find explanations for someone who's ignorant of the process
entirely

Thanks,
TomNie

"William Noble" wrote in message
1. steel - look in the phone book under "industrial metal supply", visit a
tool surplus yard, go to an automotive wrecking yard (rear axles make good
tool shafts), etc.

2. drilling square hole - start round, use a broach - go to
www.use-enco.com and look up broach.

"Neillarson" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have asked this question of Darrell Feltmate also and I am sure that
I will get good info from him, but I thought I would see what other
sources there are.

I want to make some of my own tools. I have found an easy source for
the actual bits, but I am still looking for the tool shafts. Any help
would be great.

Another question, I have not yet seen any of these athat are home
made, but, I can't help but wonder at how the shaft stock is drilled
for the bits. The bits are square stock and the shafts are round. Got
any ideas of how to get a square hole in a round bar?Thanks

Neil Larson