Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default slip roll?

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:00:49 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I have located a 30" sheet metal slip roll in my general area. It's
about 2
hours away by car. It isn't new, looks to be solid old US. I have
only seen
one photo.

The seller states that there is no maker's name on it anywhere, nor any
nameplate data. Is there any way to infer the max thickness it can
handle?

He says there is surface rust on the rolls. I figure I can knock most
of it
off easily with a 3M pad and just use it. Does this make sense to you?

Thanks,

GWE

I appreciate everyone's input. Assuming it turns out to be a 20 gauge roll,
can you roll thicker pieces if they are only e.g. 6" wide? For example,
could you get away with rolling a tube from 16 gauge steel 6x20"? With
the 6" side fed into the rolls, I mean.

Grant