Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default slip roll?

Max capacity is pretty much a function of the roller diameter and
length. A 30" with 1-1/2" diameter roll would be 22 or 24 ga , 2" roll
should go to something like 20 ga or maybe 18 ga.

A rough roll finish will transfer over to the finished product. If you
don't do polished work, it shouldn't matter too much.

These things aren't too expensive on the used market or new imports. A
nice new one from Grizzly is less than $500
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2007/Main/573

Grant Erwin wrote:
I have located a 30" sheet metal slip roll in my general area. It's about 2
hours away by car. It isn't new, looks to be solid old US. I have only seen
one photo.

The seller states that there is no maker's name on it anywhere, nor any
nameplate data. Is there any way to infer the max thickness it can handle?

He says there is surface rust on the rolls. I figure I can knock most of it
off easily with a 3M pad and just use it. Does this make sense to you?

Thanks,

GWE