Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default CRABGRASS has taken over

wrote:
On Sep 10, 9:07 am, "Toller" wrote:
"john246" wrote in message

news:reOdnVjZLMOd53nbnZ2dnUVZ_vWtnZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com... Crabgrass has taken over most of my lawn..I live in Northeast PA and
treated my lawn in the spring for crabgrass & weeds (dandelion etc,)..we
have had a very dry summer and since I didn't cut my grass (nothing was
growing the lawn turned brown) crabgrass took over,,2 yrs ago I had a
company do everything & the lawn looked great but it was getting to costly
so I did it myself..What can I do to stop the crabgrass & prevent the
spread of it..CAn I do anything in the FALL or do I have to wait until
SPRING...please HELP!!!!.

Have you thought of crabgrass killer? I am too lazy to go out back and
check the bottle, but it is 4 letters starting with a M; not MSDS, but
something like that.
Works well and doesn't hurt the real grass. Put is on now, so hopefully you
can get some grass seed down soon.

Crabgrass takes over a little strip at the road every few years, but this
stuff does the trick.

Crabgrass killers are most effective when applied when the plants are
still small. At this stage, it will take multiple applications.
And I've never had much success with the typical post-emergence
crabgrass products you find at the home or garden center. They
typical take several applications to work, even on modest plants, and
damage the turf in the process.

Acclaim is very effective and does not damage the turf. However, it
is relatively expensive. If it was July or early Aug, I'd say use
it. But given how late in the season it is, I would just let it die
off naturally.

Another approach that's cheaper than the granular preemergents if have
access to it (may take knowing somebody w/ an applicator's license or a
farmer depending on your locale) is a _very_ early spring application of
Atrazine -- it is a pre-emergent as well and will stop almost all early
annual germinating. For bluegrass turf, etc., it will be ok if used
very early (like February before it comes out of dormancy).