Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Softened water on plants

In article , Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

the mixture will be obviously is dependent on how hard the water is
to begin with -- but the idea that mixing hard and soft water produces water
just as hard as it was to begin with is absolute nonsense. Whether you
perceive a benefit or not is subjective, but there *is* a difference. Water
hardness is measured in grains per gallon; regardless of what hardness level
'x' you might have in your water, if you mix a gallon of it with a gallon of
water of hardness zero, you *obviously* have a hardless level of one-half
'x'.

As the OP, the question the becomes, if I am going to spend (quite) a
few bucks to get a plumber in, do some repiping, etc., why would I *NOT*
just go ahead and do both sides? What is the up side doing only one?

Some people can't stand the taste of soft water.

Some people are on sodium-restricted diets, and shouldn't drink it.

Plants should not be watered with sodium-softened water.

And there are two schools of thought regarding soft water in toilets: one says
it's a waste of money, the other says it makes it easier to clean the toilets.

--
Regards,