Posted to alt.home.repair
Bruce[_2_] Bruce[_2_] is offline

Default Softened water on plants

On Sep 9, 3:01 pm, "Bill" wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

news:b3YEi.144585$rX4.5901@pd7urf2no...

Kurt Ullman wrote:
When our house was built, it was plumbed in such a way that we can't
add a water softener w/o also putting softened water through the outside
faucets. I am getting conflicting information on whether or not this is a
good idea from the standpoint of watering flowers, etc. The main
sprinklers for the grass are in-ground and between the meter and the
house, so they aren't impacted. It would mainly be watering the flowers
in the planters around the house and one small grassy area that the
in-ground sprinklers don't get to. So, comments? Also, we would use the
outside faucets (spigots, whatever) to put water in the pool when opening
and occassionally during the rest of the season.

Hi,
Little off topic, we noticed BIG difference when we water the plants with
rain water(we collect it from down spouts, we have 3 barrels storing rain
water) and using softened or regular tap water.
Rain water is best.

It might not have anything to do with tap/softened water. That "rainwater"
acually contains fertilizer (nitrogen) from the birds and bugs, as well as
whatever minerals leach from your roof.- Hide quoted text -

My experience is that using NaCl softend water will eventually kill
practically all vegetation, at least here in Minnesota.

We moved into our home in the winter of 2001. The previous owner came
by in the spring to pick up a few things and I asked him about an area
in the front yard adjacent to the tree line. It was an area that just
looked dead. Black dirt, nothing at all growing, no weeds, no grass,
nothing. He said he thought it was related to the trees. He said he
had planted and fertilized and watered, grass would start and after a
couple of months die.

That summer I tried the same. planted, fertilized, watered..and the
spot grew! By the end of the summer the spot had grown to over half
the front yard, about 3,000 sq. ft.

That fall, my water softner failed and after much research on
softners, replaced it. The installer asked if I know of any problems
with the split outside water. Huh???
The outside faucet in the front of the house is softened water, the
outside faucet in the back is hard water. A whole Christmas tree of
lightbulbs when off. Apparently in the neighborhood I am in it is
common to have a softend water outstide faucet for cleaning windows
and the car.

The following spring I reseeded, mixed in poatassium into the soil,
and watered (from the back this time). Almost the same results,
except the spot began to shrink. It has taken three years to mostly
get the lawn back to normal.

By the way, I now have a brass tag on the front faucet that says
"Softened water, not for use on plants."

I am not saying other things can't harm your plants and lawn, I just
say that consistently using NaCl softened water on plants is harmful.