Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Don Bowey Don Bowey is offline

Default [update] help diagnose old circuit board, fault

On 9/10/07 6:13 AM, in article , "robb"
wrote:

"Don Bowey" wrote in message
On 9/9/07 5:00 PM, in article
, "robb"
wrote:

"Don Bowey" wrote in message
On 9/9/07 12:09 PM, in article
,

"robb"
wrote:

The only thing that will make a difference is you posting a schematic.

well if i had a schematic i would surely post it instead of circuit

board
pictures.

i was hoping some one might notice the chips used and there

configuration
and maybe have an idea about how and what to look for.

thanks for help ,
rob

you could make a list of the Ics on the board and download all the
datasheets for them. That should help you.

Hey Don,
I realize i am not even an electronic hobbyist more like a "dangerous
adventurere" at best when it comes to repairing electronics (i have
succesfully stripped 10 guage wire and i can distinguish resistor from
diodes most of the time)

but, how would looking up all the IC datasheets help ?

would it not be more efficient to concentrate only on the ICs directly
connected to the suspect components ?

If knowing a lead goes to an IC, without knowing what the IC is and does,
tells you what you need to know, then you do not need the datasheets.
Personally, I'd be looking at and around the keyboard multiplexer.

thanks for your time,
rob