Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder Fred Holder is offline

Default Source for tool steel

On Sep 10, 6:42 am, Neillarson wrote:
I have asked this question of Darrell Feltmate also and I am sure that
I will get good info from him, but I thought I would see what other
sources there are.

I want to make some of my own tools. I have found an easy source for
the actual bits, but I am still looking for the tool shafts. Any help
would be great.

Another question, I have not yet seen any of these athat are home
made, but, I can't help but wonder at how the shaft stock is drilled
for the bits. The bits are square stock and the shafts are round. Got
any ideas of how to get a square hole in a round bar?Thanks

Neil Larson

Hello Neil,

The shafts for the tools do not need to be tool steel if you are
inserting a tool bit into them. I've use cold rolled steel from the
hardware store for the shafts of tools. The tool bits you can purchase
from many sources, MSC and Enco are two that I use.

Concerning your second question. Measure the square tool bit across
the diagonals and drill a hole that the bit will just pass through.
Then drill and tap a hole for a set screw that intercepts the hole at
its center. Once the set screw is tightened, the square tool bit is
held firmly in the round hole. I generally drilled two intersecting
holes in the end of the shaft one on the center line of the shaft and
one at 45 degrees. Where those two holes intersect is the place to
drill your hole for the set screw. This enables you to use on shaft
for straight cuts and also for expanded cuts when hollowing.

Good luck with your tool making.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com