Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Neillarson Neillarson is offline

Default Source for tool steel

You are correct, I don't really want tool steel but I wasn't sure what
to call it. Now that I look back, it is "Cold Rolled Steel" that is
used on the Oland toolds and on Darrell site.

Of course, now the question is, what the h*ll is cold rolled steel?

I'm sure you don't plan to make the shaft out of tool steel. I used a
piece of round steel bought at Lowe's. I believe it is 3/4 diam. Had
a friend with a metal lathe to drill a hole in the end that the bits
would slip into. drilled and tapped two side holes for hex set screws
to hold the bit in place. The shaft is about a foot long and the other
end slips into a piece of pipe with two set screws to hold the shaft
in place.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

There is no substitute for
incomprehensible good luck.- Hide quoted text -