Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Barium Carbonate - Bed Side Reader

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Wes fired this volley in
:

[snipping what I said]
[reading what Lloyd said]

Barium carbonate is not particularly dangerous unless ingested. One
should wear breathing protection, since no heavy metal compound should be
allowed (voluntarily) to enter your body. One notable exception would be
barium sulfate, which is essentially inert in the pH range of body
fluids, and is used for contrast fluoroscopy. (a la "barium enema")

We use roughly 100lb of barium carbonate a month. We use nuisance dust
masks (p-95 rating), and enforce hand washing and clothing dust-off
before eating or smoking.

Cool. I'll wear a dust mask when handling, wash my hands and change my
clothes, a bit of cross ventilation (out doors). The MSDS looked similar
to lead for the most part and I've been casting lead for years. Good
hygiene rules will be applied. I'll wear the mask so my lungs don't glow.

I'll also look at the third machinist bedside reader formula using potasium
nitrate. Well after I get around to using the KNO3 I have on hand for its
original purchased purpose ( Don't tell homeland security )

Thanks,

Wes