Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.engineering.electrical
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default how to bypass dremel tool internal variable speed control?

"James Sweet" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
Just take it apart, I'm pretty sure it's just a "potentiometer"
(variable resistor) so it would only have 3 leads, one from the external
wire to the pot., one from the pot to the motor, and one from the other
external wire to the other lead of the motor.

Cut things off, plug the external leads directly to the motor.

Unfortuantely it doesn't seem that simple. The speed control has what
looks like a some kind of semiconductor/IC (3 leads), a diode, and
maybe a fixed resistor in addition to the slide pot. I don't know if
they're doing pulse width modulation or what.

Of course it's not gonna be a pot, it would have to be far too big and
burn up a lot of power. Instead they use what is essentially a light
dimmer. The semiconductor you see is a triac, the diode is a diac to
trigger it, if you just jumper together the right two pins on the triac,
the motor will be forced on.

Don' it just hurt to the core, James ... ? !!! ;~)

Arfa