Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Erickson Andrew Erickson is offline

Default House reno pics, soffit detail question. (w/pics)

In article ,
"David F. Eisan" wrote:

Hello everyone,

snippy

My main question is how to deal with this soffit for paint and "orange peel"
knocked down spray on texturing.

Different scenarios,

1) Treat the entire soffit as the ceiling and texture the side and bottom of
it, paint the entire soffit white like the ceiling.

2) Texture just the bottom of the soffit, paint it white like the ceiling
and paint vertical portion the same colour as the body of the room.

3) No texture on the soffit at all, paint the entire soffit the same colour
as the room.

Being the wood guy I am, I would like to add some crown detail, but I don't
know where or even if I should.

I'd tend to avoid texturing stuff, since it's a lot easier to add
texturing later than to remove it if you decide you don't like it. I'd
probably not texture the ceiling, either, but that's my personal
opinion. I'd rather have to repaint a flat surface when the time came
than a textured one.

I'm currently living in an old (rented) post-and-beam farmhouse, and the
beams around the ceiling in several areas extend out into the room,
making what is essentially a soffit. They are generally painted to
match the walls on both faces, and the ceiling proper starts above them.
It looks pretty slick. If you were to do this, then any crown moulding
would presumably need to go inside the soffit.

Another option is to paint the soffit a different tint altogether,
basically treating it as a rather large and chunky crown moulding.
Maybe you could also add some stenciling around the vertical bits of it
to break it up and add interest.

(You're very brave to be asking us here instead of relying on SWMBO!)

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot