Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E[_2_] C & E[_2_] is offline

Default CRABGRASS has taken over

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 18:56:05 -0400, "john246"
wrote:

Crabgrass has taken over most of my lawn..I live in Northeast PA and
treated
my lawn in the spring for crabgrass & weeds (dandelion etc,)..we have had
very dry summer and since I didn't cut my grass (nothing was growing the
lawn turned brown) crabgrass took over,,2 yrs ago I had a company do
everything & the lawn looked great but it was getting to costly so I did
it
myself..What can I do to stop the crabgrass & prevent the spread of
it..CAn
I do anything in the FALL or do I have to wait until SPRING...please
HELP!!!!.

The crabgrass will die at the first frost. What you need to do now is
to heavily overseed your lawn and apply a time-release STARTER
fertilizer. Remove any dead grass from your lawn before overseeding
and mow to the lowest setting the day of the overseeding. You may
need to protect areas with straw. Keep watered for 2 weeks. Next
spring apply pre-emergence and apply again after 90 days. Overseed
again in fall 2008. Crabgrass seeds can remain dormant for over 15
years, but it has hard time sprouting in a thick lawn. Buy the
highest quality weedless seed you can find.

Are you recommending the use of broadcast seeding by hand or is it necessary
to rent a seed drill?