Posted to rec.woodworking
Owen Lawrence Owen Lawrence is offline

Default Nervous abourt glue-up

And it doesn't
cost $10k.

Where does the $10K come from?

That wouldn't even cover the deposit to buy a real drum sander.

You rent those things, complete with operator, not buy one.

My guess is that less than $30 covers the job complete.

Lew

'twas thinking of the Timesaver belt sander in Nahm's shop...

But a megadollar tool is still just that. They're fun to use, and do a
great job. They are, however, usually only one way to accomplish
something. Valid, but not exclusive.

Patriarch

I can gain access to almost any tool I need if I work hard enough. I live
in a city, after all. But I've noticed that doing a lot of running around
to have other people complete steps in my project for me really takes its
toll in almost every way. I didn't own a thickness planer when I got this
wood, and had to cart the whole trailer load to my friend's house and back.
That's after carting it all home and unloading it once already. It's a
really big job and basically blew two days of free time. Now I've got my
own planer and you can't imagine how happy I am to finally be dimensioning
all my own lumber myself.

If I had all the skills of the grandfather who used a No. 7 jointer plane to
do all this in the time it took to make this thread, I'd have done it
already. But I'd still spend time here talking about it, since as solitary
as this hobby can be, there's still a social aspect to it, which apparently
I need or I wouldn't bother. Everyone just throwing in their own two cents
worth is so valuable, because I hear so many different solutions from so
many different perspectives. In the end I might still go with my original
ideas; but maybe not, and all the new info tempers my approach to the next
challenge, whatever that might be.

I'd actually like to build a drum sander someday. I dream, anyway. Just
knowing that I can do something is often enough. I only follow through on a
tiny portion of my dreams, but they're all satisfying. Every Sunday I make
pizza for supper. This week it was two pizzas and it fed our visitors. I
could buy pizza that tastes better than mine, and have it delivered to my
door in a third the time it takes me to make mine, and not much more cost.
Yet I make it anyway, week after week. I don't know why, but I just do, and
I enjoy it every time.

- Owen -