Lurker

Default Grinding wheels for HSS

I don't know what the grades were, but most shops I've been in have two
wheels
for the grinding of HSS. One quite coarse for "roughing", and the second
quite a bit
finer for finish grinding.

Just keep in mind: Rough versus finish grinding

Good luck!

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message

I primarly use HSS toolbits in my lathe and over the weekend I
ground a number of HSS lathe bits. I use a Baldor carbide
grinder with Norton 32A46 plate mounted grinding wheel.
I find that I have to dress the wheel very frequently when grinding
tough toolbits like MoMax. I tried grinding a 1/2 inch square
stellite toolbit and it was taking forever to reshape a used toolbit.

I looked through J&L abrasive selection guide and they list
better grinding wheels for tool steels, but I cannot find any better
plate mounted grinding wheels. (I also looked at MSC). Any suggestions
on the best wheel to use for grinding HSS toolbits on a baldor carbide
grinder?

As a side note, greee wheels are list as non-ferrous only and I had
a Norton 39C60 green wheel so I figured I would try it on the stellite
toolbit. It seemed slower than the 32A46. I was tempted to try my
diamond wheel but I was worried I would ruin it.

chuck