Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Grey Wallboard Compound

On Sep 9, 2:47 pm, gman wrote:
I was going to do a patch up job, but when i mixed some stored compound it
turned a Grey color and has a smell to it. How long does compound usually
last before it spoils, what can be done to lengthen its self life?

Some of the binders in drywall mud are food for microorganisms, like
starch + yeast. A non setting dry compound should have a very long
shelf life, years even. Ready mix types, though, will 'ferment' unless
you keep them really cold. I f you have your own private beer fridge
in the shop, that will work. Otherwise, just buy smaller batches and
discard leftovers. The stuff is so cheap it isn't all that painful to
toss out a fractin of pound or so. HTH

Joe