Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Barium Carbonate - Bed Side Reader

wrote:

On Sep 9, 6:15 pm, Ecnerwal
wrote:
In article , Wes
wrote:

So the question is how dangerous is trying the method? What should one do

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/B0348.htm

A few tid-bits from that:
*********

DANGER! MAY BE FATAL IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED. MAY CAUSE
IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES, AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. AFFECTS MUSCLES
(INCLUDING THE HEART), AND CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM.

Health Rating: 3 - Severe (Poison)

Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES; LAB COAT; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES

In the event of a fire, wear full protective clothing and NIOSH-approved
self-contained breathing apparatus with full facepiece operated in the
pressure demand or other positive pressure mode.

Sounds rather nasty on the whole for a home shop application.

Data from an MSDS is meant for folks dealing with industrial
quantities,
on a regular basis, in our current liability happy legal environment.

The same could be said for zinc, tin, or lead and we deal with those
metals on a regular basis.
Just take sensible precautions to avoid the dust or vapors.

You left out di-hydrogen oxide.

John