Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Softened water on plants

on 9/9/2007 11:37 AM Kurt Ullman said the following:
When our house was built, it was plumbed in such a way that we can't
add a water softener w/o also putting softened water through the outside
faucets. I am getting conflicting information on whether or not this is
a good idea from the standpoint of watering flowers, etc. The main
sprinklers for the grass are in-ground and between the meter and the
house, so they aren't impacted. It would mainly be watering the flowers
in the planters around the house and one small grassy area that the
in-ground sprinklers don't get to.
So, comments? Also, we would use the outside faucets (spigots,
whatever) to put water in the pool when opening and occassionally during
the rest of the season.

My house also had a water softener that supplied the whole house. What I
did was to find the pipes that ran to the sill cocks. A single pipe
connected the front sill cock to the rear sill cock. It had a tee
fitting that supplied the softened water to the single sill cock pipe.
I followed that supply pipe back to the softener, then cut it and
soldered a new fitting and pipe from the input pipe of the softener to
the cut sill cock pipe. I blocked off the old softened water supply to
the sill cocks. Now, the whole house is supplied with softened water,
except the sill cocks which get unsoftened water. I also put a 1/4 turn
valve in the new sill cock line at the softener to be able to shut them
off when working on or replacing them

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY