Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Pinging Bruce for Clarification

Mastic wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Mastic wrote:

All of the commercial / light industrial places I've been to had 208/120
Y service. Only seen 240 delta in heavy industrial settings. Based on
some 5 yrs of CNC service in the northeast.

I have 440 delta and 240 single phase in my garage, delivered from the
mains.

Lucky you. Not much need for 440 and the more expensive switchgear to go
with it unless you have a really big installation.

I just have a Bridgeport mill clone and a lathe in my garage, pure
hobby stuff. The machines have built in 440 volt switchgear.

David

That isn't switchgear, it's machine controls. The switchgear is the
meter socket and distribution panel for the 440V delta service, both of
which cost significantly more than the equivelents for 220V delta
service, which those machines will happily run on. I'd never consider
440V service until I had at least 6 large CNC machines.