Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz Dave Hinz is offline

Default OT-internet address list

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 23:36:05 -0700, Gerry wrote:
Where can I find a list of what the numerical internet addresses mean?
I'm talking about the string of numbers that identify an web address
and shows the country and such of the folks that send me their spam
and phishing attempts daily

nslookup from a command prompt with that IP will tell you what it
resolves to. Another approach would be to install the Netcraft Toolbar
which, if you do get caught off-guard and navigate to a known phishing
site, warns you right in the browser in an inmistakable way that you're
not where you think you are. Traceroute (or tracert if you're on
windows) to the IP and you can see that way as well.

In reality, if you get a phish-looking email with an IP rather than a
name, yeah, it's not legit. I've been using the Netcraft Toolbar; if
it's one they don't know, I report it that way. Been a long time since
I found one before they did, though.