Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Demolition Cleanup Details

If you were doing this project for yourself and by yourself I
doubt that you would remove all nails and staples. You might
hammer then all flush. You would probably miss some and still be
hammering them flush when you go to install the new finish.

The nails at the jamb certainly do NOT look like something for the
demolition man to handle.

You can certainly ask, but if I had contracted it with you the
most I would consider would be to hammer to flush on the ceiling
(grudgingly, I might add) and I would do nothing at the jamb.

Perhaps it would be a better approach to ask how much the fella
wanted to clean it all up. It might be fairly inexpensive. There
is something really strange going on at that jamb. It is almost
as if the last guys used a used header or two on something. The
nails are not normal and are old. If they had been nailed into
what was just removed, they would be shiny.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have a dumb question.

I hired someone to do some major demolition involving pulling
out sheetrock, wood paneling, removal of mirrors, tiles etc...

I specified in the contract that everything needs to be
"bloomed clean" and "disposed", and for the most part it is,
and I don't have a problem with that.

However, whenever 2x4s are pulled out from the wall, or sheet
rock pulled down from the ceiling or wall, or wood paneling
removed from concrete block walls, there are tons of staples,
nails, screws still on the furring strip, or studs or concrete
walls. They cannot stay there if I hire someone to hang new
sheetrock they will have to get them out or cut them off. I
would assume they should have been removed as part of
demolition, right? It is not explicitely stated in the
contract but I wonder if this is typical or usual customary.

I am talking about over 1000 SF of ceiling with these every 8
inches or so, and many wall surfaces. Who is responsible to
take them out? Should this be included as part of demo? I
would think so but I thought I asked before I complain about
it.

Thanks,

MC

Let me clarify the situation further. This is not a
confrontation between me and the contractor. I am merely asking
questions and doing homework before I ask him. He has not
refused to remove them, I just wanted to make sure removal of
them is standard. Yes I failed to state this in the contract,
but I incorrectly assumed if sheetrock goes the nails and screws
go, my bad.

Here are a few pictures so it is crystal clear what I am talking
about:

Ceiling sheet rock removed:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...o/P1010313.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...o/P1010312.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...o/P1010314.jpg

see many of the staples and screws still have bits of sheetrock
with them.

Here is a view of some of the framing with the door jamb and the
rough opening removed. Apparently some of the lumber were
nailed from the other side of the sister studs, so we got long
nails sticking out:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...o/P1010322.jpg

Is it reasonable to expect those to be removed?

No it is not stated in the contract, so if it's not spec'ed then
it's not covered, then obviously I made a bad assumption and a
back breaking lesson if I have to do it myself.

Thanks!

MC