Machineman

Default Grinding wheels for HSS

The best wheel would be a Borazon plated or resin bond similar to a
diamond wheel. But these are kind of pricey.
Because of the hardness of the HSS its going to wear the wheel down
regardless of the type. If the wheel is to hard your going to overheat
the HSS, to soft and you will be dressing every 2 minutes. You might
want to invest in a cheap 8" bench grinder and put a couple of toolroom
wheels on it to rough out the toolbits first before you finish the
angles on the baldor.

Charles A. Sherwood wrote:

I primarly use HSS toolbits in my lathe and over the weekend I
ground a number of HSS lathe bits. I use a Baldor carbide
grinder with Norton 32A46 plate mounted grinding wheel.
I find that I have to dress the wheel very frequently when grinding
tough toolbits like MoMax. I tried grinding a 1/2 inch square
stellite toolbit and it was taking forever to reshape a used toolbit.

I looked through J&L abrasive selection guide and they list
better grinding wheels for tool steels, but I cannot find any better
plate mounted grinding wheels. (I also looked at MSC). Any suggestions
on the best wheel to use for grinding HSS toolbits on a baldor carbide
grinder?

As a side note, greee wheels are list as non-ferrous only and I had
a Norton 39C60 green wheel so I figured I would try it on the stellite
toolbit. It seemed slower than the 32A46. I was tempted to try my
diamond wheel but I was worried I would ruin it.

chuck

--
James P Crombie
Slemon Park, PEI