Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Demolition Cleanup Details

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 21:11:37 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
. ..
I have a dumb question.

I hired someone to do some major demolition involving pulling out
sheetrock, wood paneling, removal of mirrors, tiles etc...

I specified in the contract that everything needs to be "bloomed clean"
and "disposed", and for the most part it is, and I don't have a problem
with that.

However, whenever 2x4s are pulled out from the wall, or sheet rock pulled
down from the ceiling or wall, or wood paneling removed from concrete
block walls, there are tons of staples, nails, screws still on the furring
strip, or studs or concrete walls. They cannot stay there if I hire
someone to hang new sheetrock they will have to get them out or cut them
off. I would assume they should have been removed as part of demolition,
right? It is not explicitely stated in the contract but I wonder if this
is typical or usual customary.

I am talking about over 1000 SF of ceiling with these every 8 inches or
so, and many wall surfaces. Who is responsible to take them out? Should
this be included as part of demo? I would think so but I thought I asked
before I complain about it.

Thanks,

MC

Let me clarify the situation further. This is not a confrontation between
me and the contractor. I am merely asking questions and doing homework
before I ask him. He has not refused to remove them, I just wanted to make
sure removal of them is standard. Yes I failed to state this in the
contract, but I incorrectly assumed if sheetrock goes the nails and screws
go, my bad.

Here are a few pictures so it is crystal clear what I am talking about:

Ceiling sheet rock removed:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...o/P1010313.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...o/P1010312.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...o/P1010314.jpg

see many of the staples and screws still have bits of sheetrock with them.

Here is a view of some of the framing with the door jamb and the rough
opening removed. Apparently some of the lumber were nailed from the other
side of the sister studs, so we got long nails sticking out:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...o/P1010322.jpg

Is it reasonable to expect those to be removed?

No it is not stated in the contract, so if it's not spec'ed then it's not
covered, then obviously I made a bad assumption and a back breaking lesson
if I have to do it myself.

Thanks!

MC

Trying to follow the thread, you mentioned you visited the site
frequently... This would've been a perfect time to bring it up while
the workers/boss was there. Saves him time and effort.

Why would you remove the RO? (changing a wall?) I'm just a DIY person,
but those headers don't seem to have enough support. Did you go too
far in lumber removal - too expose the header nails?

BTW, protect that wire!

--
Oren