Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein Bill Rubenstein is offline

Default Which Bowl Gouge To Buy?

Well, the feel of a tool is mostly a function of the handle system.
When you buy unhandled, then you can make the feel anything you want it
to be. I like my gouges to have long handles, e very heavy when I turn
and very light when I grind. So, I use the Oneway 17" handles (there
are many others on the market like this) and take the gouge out of the
handle for grinding -- it only takes a few seconds. With a little
ingenuity and a little time, you can easily make a removable handle.

Even with 10 percent off, I don't think that anything Woodcraft has is
as good a deal as doing what I've suggested. I'm guessing that a large
number of us who have been doing this for a while, don't buy what the
chain retail stores stock. There must be a reason.

Bill

skidog wrote:
Bill:
I'm stepping up in tool quality and like seeing and getting the feel of the
tool before I buy it. I've got a Woodcraft store in my area and next
weekend I can get 10% off my purchase.
"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
et...

I mainly agree with Bill N -- 1/2" is the most useful size and buy
unhandled.

Why are you limiting your choices to those sold by Woodcraft? You can buy
the P & N HSS 1/2" bowl gouge unhandled for $39.00 + shipping --
www.packardwoodworks.com. This tool is a class act -- unlike the Asian
imports which may or may not be real tools.

Bill R

William Noble wrote:

It kinda depends on what you like to turn, but I think if I were you, I'd
go for the 1/2 inch tool and ignore the elsworth (you are paying for his
name and you can duplicate the grind) and the PM ($$ and doesn't get
quite as sharp) - if $$ are important, and it sounds like they are,
consider getting the tool without a handle and making your own - that
saves you a fair amount - make the ferrule on the handle out of a short
scrap of EMT or copper pipe.

then make grind the tip the way you think you want it.

My lathe is a bit bigger than yours, but I use mostly a 1/2 inch gouge
and a 5/8 glaser gouge and (believe it or not) a really old carbon steel
(not HSS!!!) crafstman (!!!) spindle gouge - you can get a shaper edge on
carbon steel than HSS but it doesn't last as long.

"skidog" skidog@snownews wrote in message

I'm considering purchasing a bowl gouge from Woodcraft. I figure the
gouge should have a bar diameter of at least 1/2". I can only afford
one bowl gouge at this time and I'm stuck between a 3/8" or 1/2". I'm
currently working on a Delta Midi and not turning large pieces. Which
of the following manufacturers is the best value for the dollar:
Pinnacle, Sorby, Ellsworth Signature or Crown Pro PM? Thanks in
advance....Joel