Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Nervous abourt glue-up

"Owen Lawrence" wrote:

I do alternate my clamps. I've just never had them do a perfect

job of
keeping the joints perfectly aligned.

Why bother?

I don't have a biscuit machine, but I wouldn't expect
it to work perfectly either.

You could always use a router and a wing cutter.

Do you hear how often I use the word
"perfect"? I'm just hoping to do the best I can.

Then don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

This thread is all part
of preparing the wood.

Why?

Isn't the objective to end up with a flat panel?

There is more than one way to get there.

This wood was mostly rough cut when I got it. After removing nails

it has
been planed once, on a planer whose blades needed sharpening. A

couple of
the boards still have a little extra thickness, so I'll plane them

again.

Why?

You are trying to do the job the hard way.

do expect to do some sanding, but I'm trying to minimize that step.

Why?

A drum sander makes your life much easier.

Have fun.

Lew