Posted to rec.woodworking

Default mineral spirits

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
would like it to smell up the shop a bit less while
drying.

For that, odorless sounds perfect. I use odorless, and it mixes fine
with tung oil, danish oil, varnish, urethane, and every other oil-
based finish I've used for mixing.
I'm not sure about the differences between min. spirits, paint
thinner, turpentine, etc. I suspect most are different names for
similar products, but I'd be interested in hearing an informed answer.
Andy

Mineral spirits is an oil derivative. Odorless have been refined a bit more
and for any of my uses, works just as well.

Turpentine is distilled from pine tree resin. there is a Canadian Balsam
version also. It is often used in cleaning solutions as it has antiseptic
properties. IIRC, it is used to get rid of head lice too.

Paint Thinner seems to be a catch all term, probably so they can mix
together any solvents that happen to be available.