Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y
CJT CJT is offline

Default What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,orseen so far ?

dg wrote:

On 8 Sep, 05:52, Ken wrote:

What have been the worst (serious or humorous) handyman or handywoman
accidents that you've experienced so far (or someone you know, or saw
it happen to, got to experience) and please elaborate on what
unfortunately went wrong.

This one really shook me up.

I was using a Paslode (gas) nail gun on some decking. I had to hold a
small piece of timber against the side of joist, in order to nail it
with the gun. I was working kneeling downwards, a bit uncomfortable,
with the gun horizontal in a bit of a confined space. Basically doing
everything wrong.

I fired the gun, and the nail went in. But in a split second the gun
recoiled, and as I was pushing it against the timber it went forward
and across slightly and the tip squashed hard against my index
finger.

This happened so quickly that I really thought I had shot through my
finger.

The pain was intense, as was that feeling of sickness in my stomach
and light headedness at the thought of having no finger.

When Iooked, my finger tip was bloody and cut but in one piece.

But it was a lesson for me to have greater respect for tools.

dg

I shot a staple through my finger once. That was bad enough. I think
I know the feeling you describe.