Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default Demolition Cleanup Details

On Sep 7, 8:12 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have a dumb question.

I hired someone to do some major demolition involving pulling out sheetrock,
wood paneling, removal of mirrors, tiles etc...

I specified in the contract that everything needs to be "bloomed clean" and
"disposed", and for the most part it is, and I don't have a problem with
that.

However, whenever 2x4s are pulled out from the wall, or sheet rock pulled
down from the ceiling or wall, or wood paneling removed from concrete block
walls, there are tons of staples, nails, screws still on the furring strip,
or studs or concrete walls. They cannot stay there if I hire someone to
hang new sheetrock they will have to get them out or cut them off. I would
assume they should have been removed as part of demolition, right? It is
not explicitely stated in the contract but I wonder if this is typical or
usual customary.

I am talking about over 1000 SF of ceiling with these every 8 inches or so,
and many wall surfaces. Who is responsible to take them out? Should this
be included as part of demo? I would think so but I thought I asked before
I complain about it.

Thanks,

MC

I have done a few demo contracts, and if I was leading the job, I
would make the assumption that pulling the nails is part of the demo.
What is standard? Who knows. I really doubt there is 200 years worth
of case law that would give you guidance on this issue. It would have
been nice to have this spelled out in a contract, but here in the real
world, a lot is left off of contracts. Drawing up a contract that
spells out every single thing would practically be as much work as the
job itself. That is why contracts have such terms as "workmanlike
manner" and lawyers use terms such as "standard of the trade". IMO
pulling nails would be part of the demo contract.

I would suggest you call your demo guy, and nicely ask if he could
send someone back to pull the nails. If you haven't paid him you have
some pretty good leverage. I guess if he refuses and ****es you off,
you could go after him in small claims court, though it would be a
hell of a lot easier to just pull the nails and get over it. This
sort of thing is all part of the joy of general contracting.