Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,or seen so far ?

"al" wrote in message
ups.com...
I posted a question earlier about the feasibility of using two step
ladders and a board for scaffolding... I think I've changed my mind
about trying that

I missed your question, but I've done that many times. I don't recommend it
unless you're really careful. On most surfaces you'll still want to either:
1) nail a brace to the wall you're working on, C-clamped or whatever to one
or both of the stepladders; or 2) prop the stepladders with a long 2 x 4
from behind. I put a stake in the ground, nail the 2 x 4 to it, and clamp
the 2 x 4 to the stepladder. I use two braces, one to each stepladder.

Using stepladders that way has long been a way to set up a low scaffold, but
you'd better have good balance and not try to get too high with it. It does
work, however. Using the braces slows the whole process down. It's a
question of how you feel about broken bones.

I've also built homemade scaffolds and it's a real PITA, in my opinion. I
use 2 x 4s for the verticals and 1" electrical conduit for diagonals. Never
count on those diagonals to handle compressive loads; use two, crossbraced,
so the load is always in tension.

The slickest solution I've used is two regular ladders with ladder hooks for
a scaffold plank. I'll go up about ten feet with that, but no higher. Again,
you want to nail a brace to the wall. Use a short plank or else make sure
you're using genuine scaffold plank, which is undressed and thicker than
framing planks.

--
Ed Huntress