Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz Dave Hinz is offline

Default New toy gloat!

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 10:37:51 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:
2. HCl. ... It's _very_ nasty. ...

There's much worse. The home version of HCl is "muriatic" acid. The
fumes are very irritating if inhaled, but otherwise not so bad. I use
it all the time for derusting, get it on my hands, etc. I don't leave
it on my hands, but it's not particularly painful.

Oh, agreed, HF would be worse what with that whole "dissolving your
bones while you're trying to use them" thing but still.

Biggest precaution is against its fumes - they *will* rust everything.
I only use it outside.

Right but if the guy didn't recognze the chemical by it's name, he's
probably better off leaving the use of it to someone trained.