Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Demolition Cleanup Details

In article ,
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

"B King" wrote in message
MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a dumb question.

I hired someone to do some major demolition involving pulling out
sheetrock, wood paneling, removal of mirrors, tiles etc...

I specified in the contract that everything needs to be "bloomed clean"
and "disposed", and for the most part it is, and I don't have a problem
with that.

However, whenever 2x4s are pulled out from the wall, or sheet rock pulled
down from the ceiling or wall, or wood paneling removed from concrete
block walls, there are tons of staples, nails, screws still on the
furring strip, or studs or concrete walls. They cannot stay there if I
hire someone to hang new sheetrock they will have to get them out or cut
them off. I would assume they should have been removed as part of
demolition, right? It is not explicitely stated in the contract but I
wonder if this is typical or usual customary.

I am talking about over 1000 SF of ceiling with these every 8 inches or
so, and many wall surfaces. Who is responsible to take them out? Should
this be included as part of demo? I would think so but I thought I asked
before I complain about it.

First, I assume you mean "broom cleaned" instead of "bloomed clean"....But
then, assumptions are the wrong thing to do, when it comes to a contract.

Instead of everyone trying to guess or assume exactly the wording of your
contract. Why not spell it out here? What does your contract say? There is
a difference between demo work, and prep work.... Are you trying to get
prep work out of someone for free?

The contract has no specific clause on who ought to remove all the nails and
screws. The only thing I put in there states:

"Contractor agrees to remove all construction debris and leave the premises
in broom clean condition upon project completion".

That's why I am trying to understand, when a sheetrock is removed, I have
screws along every eight inches of every stud. Is removing them part of the
demo work or part of the prep work for the sheetrock hanging project? I
sort of assumed it's part of demo work, but that may be a wrong assumption.

Thanks,

MC

My dictionary says that "debris" means the "remains of anything broken
down or destroyed." It doesn't say those remains have to be loose on the
floor. The demolition contractor should remove the screws and nails from
the framing. Since he didn't, he evidently doesn't think he should, and
you're likely in for a fight. So think about what you want and how to
ask for it and what to negotiate for when you meet that resistance.