Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Which is the neutral white 3 prong power

Immediate attention.

My earlier response was/is based on typical United States single
phase, residential type power. Our friends in foreign places have
different systems. I certainly did not mean to ignore, nor do I
pretend to advise them

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"DanG" wrote in message
You folks are sure scaring me. There is no neutral for 220
service. I don't care what the colors of the wire are.

The size of the wire is important. The shape of the plug is
important. The colors of the wire mean nothing, although green
and bare have become universally accepted for ground. Here may
be some of the confusion:
Current code and modern usage may require 110V for something on
the dryer/range/etc (no dryers of which I am aware need 110V).
The 110V requires a neutral. 220 still does not use a neutral.
This configuration wants four wires, four prongs on the plug -
two hots, a neutral, and a ground. The only reason for the
neutral is if (rarely) there is something on the appliance that
uses 110V. These colors will often be red (hot), black (hot),
white (neutral), and green or bare (ground).

Older wiring will usually have a 3 wire connection. Two hots
and a ground. If there is not 110V usage, you do not have or
need a neutral. It may well have the ground and "neutral" lug
bonded together where you attach the appliance cord. The odd
shaped prong will be the ground. There is no neutral.
Sometimes the colors may be Black (hot), Red (hot), Green or
bare (ground). Very often the colors will be Black (hot), White
(hot), Green or bare (ground). Kinda depends on what wire was
available at the supply house that day.

I hope this helps some. If you cannot follow the concepts,
please call an electrician.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Thomas Horne" wrote in
message ...
Chelsea wrote:
On Sep 6, 10:21 pm, Eric9822 wrote:
On Sep 6, 8:35 pm, Chelsea wrote:

I am replacing the power cord to our dryer. The dryer is 3
prong.
The plug states to connect the white neutral to the l shaped
prong.
The wire has 1. black 1.white and 1.copper inner wire. Is
the white
neutral really the white wire, or is it the copper wire?
thanks,
Are you converting a 220V 4 wire connected dryer to a 3 wire
conected
dryer? If so there is more then just changung the plug
involved.
There is a bonding jumper that needs to be added as well. If
not I
assume it's a gas dryer with a 110V plug based on the
description.
For 110V:

Black = Line Voltage
White = Neutral
Bare Copper or Green = Equipment Ground

No, I am not converting - I simply need a longer power cord -
so I am
going from three to three.

The cable you have purchased is unsuitable for use as flexible
cord. The cord for an electric dryer is only supposed to be six
feet in length. If you are moving the dryer you need to
relocate it's receptacle outlet closer to it's new location.
Ten gauge wire is the smallest that is suitable for use at
thirty amperes. Since all of the conductors in the appropriate
flexible cord would be insulated you could simply mark the
green wire red and use the white white as the neutral. Please
keep in mind that the white wire will be serving as both the
grounding conductor and the grounded current carrying
conductor. Take extra care with each connection less you
should someday find the frame of the dryer with 120 volts on
it.
--
Tom Horne