Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein Bill Rubenstein is offline

Default Which Bowl Gouge To Buy?

I mainly agree with Bill N -- 1/2" is the most useful size and buy
unhandled.

Why are you limiting your choices to those sold by Woodcraft? You can
buy the P & N HSS 1/2" bowl gouge unhandled for $39.00 + shipping --
www.packardwoodworks.com. This tool is a class act -- unlike the Asian
imports which may or may not be real tools.

Bill R

William Noble wrote:
It kinda depends on what you like to turn, but I think if I were you, I'd go
for the 1/2 inch tool and ignore the elsworth (you are paying for his name
and you can duplicate the grind) and the PM ($$ and doesn't get quite as
sharp) - if $$ are important, and it sounds like they are, consider getting
the tool without a handle and making your own - that saves you a fair
amount - make the ferrule on the handle out of a short scrap of EMT or
copper pipe.

then make grind the tip the way you think you want it.

My lathe is a bit bigger than yours, but I use mostly a 1/2 inch gouge and a
5/8 glaser gouge and (believe it or not) a really old carbon steel (not
HSS!!!) crafstman (!!!) spindle gouge - you can get a shaper edge on carbon
steel than HSS but it doesn't last as long.

"skidog" skidog@snownews wrote in message

I'm considering purchasing a bowl gouge from Woodcraft. I figure the
gouge should have a bar diameter of at least 1/2". I can only afford one
bowl gouge at this time and I'm stuck between a 3/8" or 1/2". I'm
currently working on a Delta Midi and not turning large pieces. Which of
the following manufacturers is the best value for the dollar: Pinnacle,
Sorby, Ellsworth Signature or Crown Pro PM? Thanks in advance....Joel