Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default Where to buy or rent telephone poles?

Dan wrote:
Folks -

This came up recently as I am planning on moving my woodshed a few
meters so I can put a nice slab foundation under it. In every
description of how to do this, I am reading that rollers need to be
used and that telephone poles make good rollers.

Where or who do you get telephone poles from?

--dan

Telephone poles are not my idea of the ideal roller for that
purpose. Perhaps if I were going to be moving something
REALLY heavy, but sheds are not that heavy. Telephone poles
are very heavy and hard to maneuver.

PVC schedule 40 pipe has always been good to me for that
purpose. It is cheap, lightweight and pretty darn strong. If
you could find some schedule 80, it would be better, but it is
much more expensive. I use 4" because it is so easy to get
and cheap. I have a few pieces of 6" that work really well,
but they are pretty expensive in comparison.

We moved a 16' x 24' portable building easily with 10 joints
of 4". Used three guys and some 4x4s to pry it along the
ground. Moved it about 45' with ease.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.