Posted to alt.home.repair
jmagerl jmagerl is offline

Default Water dispensers

WHen I installed my RO filter, there was an initial plastic-ey taste to the
water. Took about a week of purging to get rid of it for my taste and
another 2 weeks of purging to get it to my wifes satisfaction (she can smell
things nobody else can). WHen I changed the dispenser, the taste returned
but quickly faded . We learned to run the water for the time it took to
purge the tap.

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
For a long time, I had Sparkletts delivering bottled water to my house for
use in a Sparkletts-supplied dispenser. At $17 a month rental on the
dispenser, I figured I would save a lot of money in the long run by
canceling the rental and getting my own dispenser.

However, I've now bought three different dispensers -- two from Frys
Electronics, one from Sears -- and all of them put out very bad tasting
water, despite precise attention to pre-use cleaning and preparation as
outlined in the owner's manuals. It's a very strong plastic taste that is
not present in the water prior to being introduced into the dispenser. I
have been meticulous in the prep, yet the problem persists through three
different brands. (In each case, btw, when I returned the item, I learned
that I was not the first to complain about the problem.)

Can anyone recommend a water dispenser that absolutely doesn't have this
issue, or suggest what I might be doing wrong? (Despite the repeated
problem with different brands and my own general belief that the common
denominator -- in this case, me -- is often at the root of a problem, I'm
strongly unconvinced that I'm at fault here. But I'm willing to listen.)

Jim Beaver