Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default Pinging Bruce for Clarification

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:40:40 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 22:34:44 -0400, Stuart Wheaton
wrote:

Ken Sterling wrote:
Bruce (or anyone qualified).....
Three phase power ----- isn't each leg 120 degrees from the others?
Single phase power - 220v - isn't each leg 180 degrees from the other?
If the above is correct (and I'm hoping I understand it correctly) it
would stand to reason, that if you needed to hook up a 220v single
phase machine and you had 3 phase available at that location you
could, (and I am not saying it's correct) connect to two of the three
phases and run the machine, even tho the sine waves wouldn't be 180
out, it probably wouldn't hurt anything. Am I correct in this
assumption??? Any and all comments welcome
Thanks.
Ken.

Three phase is usually 208/120. 208 volts between phases and 120 volts
leg to ground. Many machines have a 200 volt tap for this situation.

Stuart

Its usually 240/120.

Do the math

Gunner

240 for delta service, but you're more likely to find 208/120 wye
service in most places.

Not in Southern California, if my 10+ yrs of machine tool repair is
any indicator.

Gunner